When I was a kid we had a swimming pool in the back yard. During the winter we'd cover it to protect it from the elements. By springtime, a pool of water would have gathered on the top of the cover and few frogs would begin to make this their home. Of course, what began as a few frogs soon became many. When we'd start getting ready to uncover the pool and prepare for summer, we'd have an all out plague. As a result, we had to think of creative ways to control this plague to keep from swimming with a thousand frogs. Here are some of the ways we chose to get a handle on the situation (keep in mind I have an older brother):
1. Fence throwing (not throwing the fence, but throwing the frogs at the fence. Sometimes it took more than one hit...don't underestimate the resiliency of frogs.)
2. Firecrackers in the mouth (usually tossed for a nice airborne explosion)
3. Acid bath (we had pool chemicals around...why not experiement?)
I know this sounds cruel, but something had to be done. I was only about 8, so give me a break. And we did keep some frogs around. I was always intrigued by nature and how they grew from tadpole to fat toad. I even tried to dissect one in the yard. I found out later (in 5th grade) that it works much better when the frog has been in formaldehyde.
Before you judge, imagine how you'd feel about swimming with a group of these.
1 comment:
Trina, I think I can speak for everyone when I thank you for your honesty and openness. What is the internet afterall, if people aren't willing to be genuine ;)
Seriously, ewww.
Post a Comment